For regular swimmers, muscle crampingcan be very common.It’s important for every swimmer to be able know how to alleviate and prevent this type of situation from occurring. When you think about enrolling your kids in a swim club, you must remember that there is a possibility formuscle cramps to occur which can become uncomfortable and irritating. . Swimming can help them to stay fit but in order to keep them involved and progress in thissport, you need to ensure that they don’t get disheartened with an easily avoidableproblem like muscle cramps.
Common Causes of Muscle Cramps
3 main causesof musclecramps:
- Not Enough Water: You should keep tabs on your child’s water intake. Muscle cramps are common for swimmers who get dehydrated while swimming. Hence, it is advisable for the kids to drink plenty of water before plunging into the pool.
- Being Too Tired: You must ensure that your kid isn’t too tired to swim. If he/she has come back from school and not feeling like swimming because they might be tired, it is best to have them rest up and start swimming when they are alert and attentive. Tiredness is another very common reason why a swimmermight experience muscle cramps.
- Excessive Swimming: Each swim session should not be throughout a time period that is longer than your child can handle.. Too much swimming can give your little one cramps too. It is important to not let your kid swim excessively to the point of exhaustion.
How to Deal with Muscle Cramps
Not to worry! These cramps can be shooed away easily! Just follow thesetips to relieve your little one from any discomfort they may have:
- Rehydrate:If your child experiencesa muscle cramp, immediately remove them from the water and have them hydrate by drinking liquids. This will immediately hydrate the muscles and will ease the discomfort of any cramping.
- Compress:Another option to relieve any overexertion of the musclesis by adding a hot or cold compress as well. Either of these options will relax the muscle and your kid will soon be feeling better!
- Stretch:During a muscle cramp, the tension that is experienced can be alleviated by stretching the affected area. Also, it is helpful to gently massage the muscle to mitigate any discomfort.
When enrolling your child into swim lessons at Aqua-Tots Swim Schools Scottsdale, there are certain things which you should be ready for and muscle cramps can beone of them. However, there is nothing to worry about!Just by following the above-mentioned tips and suggestionscan help you to take care of your kid’s muscle cramps easily.