You must have heard enough about “Chassis”, while dealing with various automobile. However, many of you must be still under confusion that what exactly does chassis means? How it works or why is it so crucial?
What is a chassis?
A chassis is considered as the main base on which the vehicle is really assembled or mounted. Chassis generally will mount the following main components of a vehicle:
- Main engine,
- Brake system
- Steering system
- Transmission system
- Suspension system
- Cooling system
There are several reasons that has motivated you to plan a F100 chassis swap. It is hard to find old spare parts suitable for your old F model. Therefore it is wise to swap chassis with new model, which can be easy to maintain. Therefore get to know the different kinds of chassis. Basically, there are 2 types of chassis that are found in most of the vehicles:
- Conventional chassis or also known as Frame-full chassis
- Non-conventional or also as Frameless chassis
- Conventional chassis
In conventional chassis, the body gets designed as a distinctly separate unit and after that it will be linked with a ladder frame.
Conventional chassis will support all the systems that are attached with the vehicle e.g. the Engine, Steering system, Transmission system, Suspension system etc.
Advantage of conventional chassis
Following are few advantages of conventional chassis
- Higher load capacity as well as strength
Disadvantage of conventional chassis
- The body will tend to vibrate very easily and the handling of the overall vehicle as well as refinement will be much lower. (Usually, you will find its use in vehicles like truck, SUV cars and in bus and also in bigger vehicles).
- Nonconventional chassis
In such type of chassis, you will notice that the ladder frame will be absent and the body itself will act in the form as the frame. Also, it will support all the systems present in your vehicle e.g. the Engine, Steering system, Transmission system and Suspension system etc.
Advantage of non-conventional chassis
- Less squeaks and rattles are developed.
- Handling will always be better because of the much higher rigidity of the body as well as its weight.
Disadvantage of non-conventional chassis
- Here you will find that load carrying capacity is much lower.
- Also, this chassis will not be too safe in certain accidental conditions.
- You will find such kinds of chassis mostly in old sedan cars or in hatchback cars.
Different cars types as per the body style
- Estate/Station Wagon
- Multi-purpose Vehicle/ Multi Utility Vehicle
- Sport Utility Vehicle
- Pick-Up Truck
Choose the right mechanic to swap chassis
Hiring the wrong person for chassis swap can damage your car, so make sure that the mechanic is skilled and specializes in specific field. The person needs to have specialty in repairing Ford cars and experience in suspension swap of F100. Even ensure that genuine F100 parts are chosen to complete the task.