The online marketing arena is one arena where there is no distinction between small business and a large corporate, both compete equally and have equal chances of attaining success, which is quite contrary to the real world.
The ultimate objective of small business owners is to generate maximum traffic, and out of that traffic produce a sale. Like in website link building, there are lots of ways in which the traffic to a website can be generated. However, the need is to keep an eye on how and from where the traffic is generated. For this purpose, the need is to have a strong grip on analytics.
The analytics can be used for two purposes primarily.
- Firstly, to segment the traffic generated.
- Secondly, to monitor the traffic generated by social media.
1. Traffic Segmentation:
A small business needs to know the source of its traffic so that the area from which the traffic is received could be targeted affectively. Therefore, to get the data about the visitors, small businesses need to divide their traffic into segments.
A small business can segment the traffic on two basis:
The setting can be done in Google Analytics by following the below given steps:
- Under the Standard Reporting Tab click on the tab of Advanced Segments.
- In the Advancement Segments tab, you can apply the geographic filter of city or region.
If the business is of medium scale, then region wise traffic segmentation would be suitable as city is a minute figure compared to a region. However, if the business operates at a very low level, then even a city-based filter would also suffice.
This segmentation could help in better monitoring of the email marketing, social media, and offline advertising campaigns.
2. Monitoring Social Media:
There is no denying the importance of social media for an online marketing campaign. The traffic on social media is analyzed by keeping two factors in mind.
- The location of all the people who receive your message and are in your sharing line
- The action taken by aforementioned people when they visit your website
However, social media is like a web, where another person further shares the sharing of one person and so the cycle goes on. This is where the analyzing of social media traffic facilitates. By analyzing the traffic, one could measure the effectiveness of the campaign in the target area or location.
The lines below give a few of the situations, which you might be facing pertaining to traffic, and tips to resolve them.
- If the traffic received by your website is dispersed around the globe, then you need to bring in an SEO who could specify your target market to your locality.
- A business can use services of a social media marketing firm, to target the audience of the local area on Facebook, and track the behavior of the traffic.
- If the traffic received by your website s minimal, than the thing you need to do is to get localized web services such as Google Places and other, where you would get enlisted in the local searches.
- Most importantly, don’t just go on storing the web analytics data, rather review it on regular basis to stay in touch with the latest happenings.
In short, for small business owners, keeping track, and analyzing there web traffic is an utmost necessity. This could help them understand the behavior and buying pattern of the customers, which ultimately would lead to business growth.